1866 – 1867 Oswego County Directory

I recently came across a hard copy of Child’s Oswego County Business Directory for 1866-1867.  I’ve transcribed the references to Bernhard’s Bay, Cleveland and Constantia for inclusion in the CHS archive.  The excerpts with page references are noted below.

—- gmsc


Child’s Gazetteer and Business Directory of Oswego County, N.Y.
1866-1867, Northshore Extract

Index to Advertisements

P.6, Claim Agents, Henry Garbor, Cleveland – p.115

P.7, Glass Works, Caswell & Company, Cleveland – p.124

P.7, Insurance Agents, Henry Garbor, Cleveland – p.115

P.7, Lawyers, Henry Garbor, Cleveland – p.115

Oswego County Officers

P.9, District Attorney, William H. Baker, Constantia

Post Offices and Postmasters

P.10, Bernhard’s Bay, Elmore R. Crandell

P.10, Cleveland, Peter Vandenberg

P.10, Constantia, Henry A. Baker

Publisher’s Notices: Miscellaneous Advertisers

P.12, Henry Garbor, Attorney and Counselor at Law, Notary Public and Pension Agent at Cleveland.

Gazetteer of Towns

P.30-31 Constantia, named by the proprietor, Geo. Scriba, was formed from Mexico, April 8, 1808. Hastings was taken off in 1825, and West Monroe in 1839. It lies upon the north shore of Oneida Lake in the southeast corner of the county. The surface is nearly level, and is slightly inclined towards the south. The principal streams are Scriba and Black Creeks, flowing into Oneida Lake. Iron ore is found in the Clinton group of rocks which extend through the south part. The soil consists of clay, gravel, sand and vegtable mould, and in general, is fertile.

A large part of the interior is yet unsettled. Frenchman’s Island, in Oneida Lake, about four miles from Constantia, belongs to this town. It contains about twenty-eight acres. During the French Revolution of 1793, when the French nobility were compelled to seek safety in flight, and the trains of exiles to this country were crowded with dukes and princes of the blood, the Count St. Hilary, a young Frenchman, and his beautiful and accomplished wife, a daughter of the noble house of Clermont, landed upon our shores. Following the trail of emigration westward, they reached Oneida Lake, then on the great thoroughfare of travel, and attracted by the beautiful island and its primitive forests, they landed upon it, and concluded to make it their future home.

Here, in the deep solitude of nature, they enjoyed, for many months, perfect peace and quietude. Their place of residence was at length discovered by Chanceller Livingston, who had formerly enjoyed the elegant hospitalities of the lady’s family at Paris. He visited them in their rural home, and, after spending a short time with them, he prevailed upon them to return with him to his mansion upon the Hudson. There they continued to reside until Bonaparte had put an end to the reign of terror, and restored much of the confiscated property to the exiles of the Revolution, when they returned to France.

Several years after, as Livingston stood upon the banks of the Seine, amidst a crowd of distinguished Parisians, to witness the first experiment of Robert Fulton in steam navigation, he was recognized by the Count, who at once took him to his residence, and treated him during his stay at Paris, as a generous benefactor and a honored guest. Livingston’s mansion upon the Hudson, and the first steamboat of Fulton and Livingston were both named, in honor of the lady’s family, “Clermont.”

Lumber, leather and glass are extensively manufactured in town. Cleveland, incorporated April 15, 1857, is located on Oneida Lake, in the southeast part of the town. It contains two glass factories, several stores, mills, sheeps, etc. Constantia, in the west part, on Onedia Lake, is noted chiefly for its tannery and lumber interests.

Cleveland Glass Works, Ad., p.124
Cleveland Glass Works, Ad., p.124

Bernhard’s Bay, on the lake, contains a glass factory, and about 160 inhabitants. Constantia Centre, P.O. And Gayville, are hamlets. Soon after the purchase of Scriba’s Patent, in 1790, Mr. Scriba commenced the first settlement of his lands at Constantia, and established agents and laborors there in 1793. Solomon Waring, John Lynch and Dr. Vandercamp, settled in town in 1793, and John Bernhard in 1795. The first birth was that of George Waring, April 11, 1796. The first store was built by Major Waring. In 1794-95, Mr. Scriba erected in this town, the first saw mill and grist mill in the county. The first school was opened in 1797, at Constantia. Population of the town in 1865 was 3,517. Number of voters, 810. Area, 34,821 acres.

Oswego County Business Directory

P.93 Constantia: Bernhards Bay P.O.Population – about 160

Auctioneer
  • David Hazen
Blacksmiths
  • Ezra Dickinson
  • Jacob G. Montross
Boarding House
  • Richard Baxrey
Boat Builder
  • Linas P. Marsden
Boots and Shoes
  • William Howe
Butcher
  • Henry Willard, Sr.
Carriage Maker
  • Ezra Dickinson
Clergyman
  • Rev. Peleg Fuller, F.W. Bap.
Constable
  • Henry Willard, Jr.
General Merchants
  • Stephens, Crandell & Company
    • Dewitt C. Stephens
    • Martin Crandell
    • Clinton Stephens
    • Willard Bennett
Glass Factory
  • Bernhard’s Bay Glass Factory; Stephens, Crandell & Company
    • Dewitt C. Stephens
    • Martin Crandell
    • Clinton Stephens
    • Willard Bennett
Grocery
  • A.Morse & Sons
    • Albert Morse
    • Israel Morse
    • Wallace Morse
Milliner
  • Mrs. James Dickie
Millwright
  • Ezra Dickinson
Saw Mills
  • George Bedell
  • James Bernhard
  • Jacob Dickinson, Jr.
  • Richard P. Francisco
  • Henry Willard, Jr.
Shingle Factory
  • George Bedell
Wood Dealer
  • Henry Willard
Henry Garber, Ad., p.115
Henry Garber, Ad., p.115

P.95-98 Cleveland P.O.Population, about 900

Blacksmiths
  • David D. Terpenny
Boat Builders
  • Thomas G. Cole
  • John Deans
  • Lynas Marsden
Boots and Shoes
  • John Blower
  • George A. Curtis
  • Solomon H. Drum
Butcher
  • Hamilton W. Travis
Carpenters
  • Samuel Ward
  • John Whitbeck
  • Daniel H. Whitney
Carriage Makers
  • Rafas K. Harris
  • John Houser
  • David D. Terpenny
Clergymen
  • Rev. Sybrandt Nelson, Presb.
  • Rev. Skeel, M.E.
Constable
  • Albert A. Yale
Dentist
  • Joseph H. Turck
Dress Maker
  • Miss Agnes Saddler
Druggist
  • Vine A. Allen
Express Agent
  • Philander Friable
Furniture Dealers
  • Ezra Palmer
  • Franklin Stevens
General Merchants
  • James W. Aspell
  • Foster & Farmer
    • William Foster
    • Forris Farmer
  • A.Morse & Sons
    • Albert Morse
    • Israel Morse
    • Wallace Morse
  • Franklin Stevens
  • Joseph A. Turck
Glass Works
  • Cleveland Glass Company, Caswell & Company
    • Henry J. Caswell
    • Crawford Getman
    • William Foster
    • Forris Farmer
  • Union Glass Company, Charles Kathren, Manager
Grist Mill
  • D&C Perkins
    • Draper Perkins
    • Charles Perkins
Groceries
  • William H. Foster
  • George Morse
  • Thomas Roney
Hair Dresser
  • Edward Sherman
Harness Maker
  • George Harding
Hotels
  • Farmer & Knights’ Hotel
    • John H. Farmer
    • Abner Knights
  • Marble’s Hotel, Cyrus Marble, Prop.
  • Oneida Lake House, John Chrisman, Prop.
Insurance Agents
  • Henry Garber
  • Hiram S. Parkhurst
Jewelry & Watches
  • Seth P. Duncan
Justice of Peace
  • Gilen W. Lane
Lawyers
  • Henry Garber
  • Hiram S. Parkhurst
Liquor Dealer
  • Willaim H. Foster
Livery Stable
  • Farmer & Knights
    • John H. Farmer
    • Abner Knights
Lumber Dealers
  • Foster & Farmer
    • William Foster
    • Abner Knights
Masonic
  • Cleveland Lodge meets 1st and 3rd Thursdays in each month
Masons (stone and brick)
  • William Hamilton
  • James Hartley
Milliner
  • Miss Lacy M. Curtiss
News Room
  • Thomas Roney
Notary Public
  • Crawford Getman
Painters & Glaziers
  • Ezra Palmer
  • ____ Stevenson
Pension Notary
  • Henry Garber
Photograph Artist
  • Addison Winn
Physicians
  • Vine A. Allen
  • Joseph H. Turck
  • John A. Yates
Planing Mill
  • Isaac P. Dickinson
Sash Blinds and Doors
  • Isaac P. Dickinson
Saw Mills
  • John Beach
  • Caswell & Getman
  • Edward Gallagher
  • Charles Mumford
  • Walter D. Sperry
  • Union Glass Company
Stage Proprietors
  • Silias Drum, Cleveland, Bernhard’s Bay & Constantia.
    Leaves Cleveland at 9p.m. and Constantia 6:30 a.m. Daily.
  • Frisbie & Woodard, Philander Frisbie and Henry Woodard, Cleveland &
    McConnellsville daily. Leaves Cleveland at 8 a.m. and McConnellsville at 5 p.m.
Tailor
  • Patrick Keogh
Tannery
  • William Foster
Tinsmith
  • Peter Vandenburg
Town Clerk
  • George Harding
Turner of Wood
  • Giles W. Lane
Undertaker
  • Franklin Stevens

P.98-100 Constantia, P.O.Population – about 500

Blacksmiths
  • Patrick O’Connor
  • William Stobie
  • William H. Stowell
Boat Builders
  • James Barnes
  • Weyms Dudgeon
Boots and Shoes
  • Peter Gomon & Sons
    • Peter Gomon
    • Peter N. Gomon
  • Dolphus S. Stowell
Butcher
  • Cyrus H. Phillips
Carpenters
  • Andrew Daffler
  • Henry C. Daffler
  • William McKee
  • Garritt G. Prentiss
  • Henry G. Prentiss
  • Warren Razy
  • Merritt Scovill
  • Charles Watson
  • Carriage Makers
  • Stowell & Lando
    • William H. Stowell
    • Richard Lando
Clergymen
  • Rev. Jason H. Buck, M.E.
  • Rev. Archibald M. Shaw, Preb.
Constables
  • George D. Grannies
Dentist
  • Herbert Dobson
District Attorney
  • William H. Baker
General Merchants
  • Baker & Company
    • Henry A. Baker
    • James A. Baker
  • Samuel W. Beebe
  • Robertson & Brothers
    • George Robertson
    • James Robertson
    • Kilbert Robertson
Grist Mills
  • Julian Carter
Harness Maker
  • Leonard Gardenier
Hotels
  • Constantia House, Henry C. Champlain, Prop.
  • Jones’ Hotel, William J. Jones, Prop.
Insurance Agents
  • George D. Grannies
  • Silas Pennyer
Justice of the Peace
  • Silas Pennyer
Lawyers
  • William H. Baker
  • Charles Lander
  • Frederick Lander
Livery Stable
  • Leonard W. Scott
Masonic
  • Scriba Lodge No. 415
    Regular communications every 2nd Monday of the month.
Millwright
  • Abram Todd
Music Teacher
  • Mrs. Frederick W. Scribat
Painter & Glazers
  • Edward Andrews
Physicians
  • Frederick Havill
  • Lucius Stevens
Saw Mills
  • I.P. & A. Brown
    • Ira P. Brown
    • Abram Brown
  • Julian Carter
  • Frederick Cook
  • A. & S. Dolby
    • Asahel L. Dolby
    • Samuel Dolby
  • William H. Dolby
  • Edward French
  • Judson, Holleback & Company
    • William A. Judson
    • Edward B. Judson
    • Henry Van Vleck
    • Elijah Hollenback
  • Monroe & Pero
    • Charles Monroe
    • Moses Pero
  • Robertson & Brothers
    • George Robertson
    • James Robertson
    • Elbert Robertson
  • Robde & Kimberly
    • Mrs. Polly Robde
    • Oliver Kimberly
  • Samuel P. Smith
  • Joseph Tanner
Supervisor
  • Asahel L. Dolby
Tannery
  • Robertson & Brothers
    • George Robertson
    • James Robertson
    • Elbert Robertson
Undertaker
  • Gerritt J. Prentiss

P.100 Constantia Centre P.O.

Blacksmith
  • Alvin Abbott
Butchers
  • Hallock & Graves
    • David Hallock
    • Solomon Graves
Clergymen
  • Rev. Peleg Fuller, Bap.
Constable
  • Edward R. Lince
Justice of Peace
  • Ephraim Cleveland
Saw Mills
  • Frederick H. Cook
  • John Cook
  • William Butcher
Stave Factory
  • William Dutcher

P.100 Gayville, P.O. Address Constantia, Population – about 75

Blacksmith
  • William Sheldon
Butcher
  • Fabius Grow
Constable
  • Frederick Patterson
Hotel
  • Gayville Hotel, Frederick Patterson, Prop.
Justice of Peace
  • Wilbur G. Tallcott
Saw Mill
  • E.C. Johnson & Company
    • Edward C. Johnson
    • Clement Warren

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *